Software Systems Developed by NSL Members
New Student's Guide to NSL
- NSL Guide, A new student's guide to NSL
Technical Reading and Writing
- Writing Guidelines, a list of paper writing guidelines used in NSL.
- How to Read a Paper, By S. Keshav, ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communications Review, 37(3):83--84, July 2007.
- ACM Policy and Procedures on Plagiarism (New grad students: Read Section 1 of this document.)
- William Strunk, Jr., The Elements of Style (available online at: http://www.bartleby.com/141/)
- How To Write A Dissertation, by Douglas Comer
- J. Zobel, Writing for Computer Science, 2nd edition, Springer, 2004.
- Reviewing a Journal Paper - Guidelines, by Robert Heath
Latex Tutorials and Templates
- TeXnicCenter: Latex integrated environment (graphical), for MS Windows users You need to install MikTex before installing this environment.
- Simple template for writing reports: use it to write progress reports and initial versions of papers.
- Generate Certificates
- Getting the latest active nodes
- Deploying to PlanetLab
- Get results from PlanetLab
- Using screen on PlanetLab nodes
Networking and Multimedia Courses Taught by NSL Professors
Video Library and Tools
Technical Tips (Login Required)
- BOUML A free UML toolbox running under Unix/Linux/Solaris and Windows to specify and generate code in C++, Java, Php, Python and Idl.
- fabFORCE.net DBDesigner Open source visual database designer for MySQL for Windows and Linux KDE/Gnome.
- eSVN A cross-platform GUI frontend to the Subversion revision system which runs under Unix-like operating systems (GNU/Linux distributions, FreeBSD, Sun Solaris and others), Mac OS X as well as Windows.
- SvnX A Mac SVN Client.
- WinFig An xFig clone for Windows users.
- NodeBox A Mac OS X application that lets you create 2D visuals (static, animated or interactive) using Python programming code and export them as a PDF or a QuickTime movie. NodeBox is free and well-documented. Older versions (found here) had a graphs component that is based on Boost Graph.
- PowerTutor A useful tool that measures power consumption of computer processes, screen, GPS, 3G and WiFi of an HTC G1, HTC G2 and Nexus One Android operated phones. The measurements are saved to a plain text file that is easy to parse.
Random Thoughts (Login Required)
Hardware/Computing Resources in NSL
- Hardware/Computing Resources in NSL
- Allocation of lab computers, devices to persons/projects etc. (Login Required)